Followers

Friday, October 19, 2012


I recall times when friends of my parents would come over for dinner and even though they may not have had a lot of things in common they did have one thing in common: coming to America in search of a job so that their children may have a better life than they did. Thats what went on in the second story in Interpreter of Maladies called “When Mr. Pirzada came to Dine”. The story was told through the eyes of a young girl. She notes the frequent visits of a nice old man who is working in America in order to send money to his family back in Dacca. I will never understand the courage and strength my parents had to travel to a foreign country halfway around the world and having to learn its culture and language and pretty much having to assimilate into it.  And it wasn’t for themselves but for the sake of my brother and me so that we could have the opportunities we would not have been able to have back in India. This story is not only relevant to Indians but all immigrants no matter what decade or century coming to America to live out a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment