Followers

Monday, January 7, 2013

HamLit - I actually kinda sorta liked it.

          When ever a teacher assigns a teacher assigns a major work to read you usually hear the class complain about either the length, reading difficulty, the boredom, etc; including myself, I must admit. However, I usually end up somewhat liking the books I read in class. Unfortunately, I never had a liking for Shakespeare. Ever since I read Romeo and Juliet eons ago I never understood the hullabaloo about the guy. Honestly, I never thought he was that good. Freshman year we read Merchant of Venice and that was alright but that's as close as it got. I love making lists. It helps me organize my thoughts clearly and succinctly. Here's a top five list of why I never liked Shakespeare.

1. Its overly done.
2. He talks weird. I have difficulty with understanding his diction.
3. Everyone dies in the end. Come one, its time to change the plot ending.
4. He is very wordy....full of monologues, soliloquies. To much complaining not much action.
5. Probably meant to be seen not read.

              I do not mean to completely butcher the name of Shakespeare because I still do think he should be considered a respected author. After over 500 years, he is still probably the most popular and most acclaimed writer ever! I even like one of his works, Hamlet and here's why:

1. I liked the though-provoking character of Hamlet in this.
2. I understood it. (This is also probably because I am older and experienced reader now.)
3. Timeless. Modern people can relate to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment